There was an interesting thread on the Florida Concealed Carry Forum today that asked:
What to do after a self-defense shooting?
Here’s what I came up with:
- Calm down, take a deep breath, collect yourself for a second.
- Assess the condition of the bad guy. If no-longer an obvious threat, restrain, search, and re-holster; then render first aid if you are so trained and safe to do so.
- Call 911, establish that you are the victim. Do not get into specifics.
- Call Attorneys (I know Friday, Buckley, and Fast). Hope that one of them pick up. * You have someone on speed dial right? *
- Tell the truth about why you fired. * Defense of life and limb, stopping a forcible felony *
- 6. If questioned further, invoke the 5th Amendment (I invoke my right to remain silent, I demand that my lawyer be present for all questioning.) and then shut up, wait for legal counsel.